Starting from the age of about 18 months, a 6 monthly dental visit is recommended for the maintenance of healthy teeth and gums.
A Dental and Oral examination includes:
- Examining the head, neck, face and joint (Temporomandibular Joint) for anything out of the ordinary.
- Checking for any dental decay, damaged fillings, broken teeth or any infected teeth.
- Evaluating the health of gums and plan treatment accordingly.
- Check for any brushing defects which may result in tooth damage
- Check for any signs of parafunctional habits (eg. grinding or clenching habits) and its effect on teeth.
- Checking bites and jaw positions and referring to the orthodontist if necessary.
- 2-3 yearly radiographs to check for any hidden decay in between teeth.
- Checking for Oral Cancer and any precancerous spots in the mouth.
- Checking dental appliances if applicable.
Dental cleaning includes:
- Removal of plaque and calculus and polishing teeth
- Oral hygiene instructions to improve home maintenance
- Providing fluoride application if necessary.